Rules: Don’t take too long to think about it. Fifteen albums that will always stick with you (CDs, cassette tapes, but not singles). List the first fifteen that you can recall or that come to mind in no more than fifteen minutes.
- Violent Femmes – Add it up. Perhaps one of the first albums that I didn’t like at first, but listened to enough that it got good….then it got really good. Then I realized it was a best of.
- Portishead – PNYC. Well really any Portishead, but this is the best. Thank you Dawn (the girl I dated for for one week. That same week I drank 40 Red Bull)
- Four Tet – Rounds. No Comment
- The Fugees – The Score. Somehow, this album and Pretty Hate Machine just don’t age.
- The Cure. No albums just emo goodness
- Sigur Ros – Takk. This album is appropriate for almost any activity. I took way to many classes in college once and acquired this album the last week of the Semester. That same week I was taken ill and had another one of those ‘date for 2 weeks’ things happen. This was all I listened to that week and to this day it never fails to calm me down.
- NOFX – Punk in Drublic. It’s fair to rent a car and take a road trip as an excuse to listen to this album.
- Fugazi – Red Medicine. There are other notable albums by Fugazi. I was in the bus one day, smoking pot with Justin, when I heard the first track on this album come on the cd player and I realized that it had played 4 times in a row.
- Miles Davis – Kind of Blue. Cooler than the Fonz….
- Electrelane – Axes. I was seduced while listening to this band. Then the band seduced me.
- Usher – Confessions. So good. So heartfelt.
- The Dead Milkmen. Any album, any track, any time.
- The Notorious B.I.G. – Ready To Die. I was listening to this album at work (this was 2008 and I had just discovered Biggy) and I realized that shit done changed. Now I live in Chicago.
- Ace of Base – The Sign. I still reach for this (and a select few others) when I need to shake it a bit.
- Old Crow Medicine Show – O.C.M.S. Thanks Spencer!
Disclaimer: In no particular order, I make no claim for the quality of some of this music.